Social Science Seminar

ProfessorGARCIA, Clemence

GARCIA, Clemence

What is the difference between accounting, accountancy, accountability? All these words are derived from the same idea: people are liable to others for their actions. In the last decades, businesses have faced huge challenges regarding not only their financial sustainability but also their social responsibility. Because profit, capital accumulation, tax etc. form the basis of the economic structures underlying our society, it is crucial for young businesspersons to acquire enough accounting knowledge to understand them.

Courses

• Accounting
  • International Accounting
  • Financial Accounting
  • Financial Statement Analysis
  • Basic Seminar Ⅰ・Ⅱ
  • Advanced Seminar Ⅰ・Ⅱ
  • Graduation SeminarⅠ・Ⅱ

In Financial Accounting, students will learn the basics of business accounting in English. The course covers the four financial statements and basic financial analysis based on concrete cases. Financial Statement Analysis introduces further analysis techniques based on financial ratios and the understanding of specific business transactions.

Seminar

In Advanced Seminar I・II and Graduation Thesis I・II, students will pursue their own research based on accounting literature and corporate financial data. Topics presented and discussed by students in recent years include business acquisitions (M&As), IFRS, cryptocurrencies, sustainability reports, and taxation. Students are encouraged to focus on specific issues facing multinational enterprises.

2020 Professor, Gakushuin University (-present)
2015 Associate professor, Gakushuin University
2014 Invited associate professor, Keio University (-present)
2011 Assistant professor, Rikkyo University (-2015)
2010 Doctorate in Management, Paris Dauphine University, France
2006 Lecturer in accounting (full time), Meiji Gakuin University (-2010)
2005 French Professional Certificate in Accounting (French CPA)
2002 Master of Accounting and Finance, University of Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne, France

Fields of Specialization

Intangible AssetsIFRSInternational Tax law

Research content

My research deals with the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), the globalization of accounting and tax law. In recent years, I have focused on accounting for goodwill and intangible assets in the pharmaceutical industry. I have also pursued experimental research about blockchain-based corporate bookkeeping and databases.

Major Publications

• 2023 OECD Transfer Pricing Guidelines and International Tax Law (with Y. Matsubara), in Kofler, G. and Haas, F., Oxford Handbook of International Tax Law, OUP.
  • 2022 An Experiment on Double Entry Bookkeeping and Financial Reporting Using Blockchain (with T. Itabashi), 1st FIRE Anthology, Iustus.
  • 2022 EAA Comment letter on EFRAG Discussion paper, “Better Information on Intangibles” (EAA task force on intangibles).
  • 2022 European Law Institute Guidance on Company Capital and Financial Accounting for Corporate sustainability (ELI final report).
  • 2022 Implementation and Effects of the OECD Multilateral Instrument in France, in Kofler, G. and al., Implementation and Effects of the OECD Multilateral Instrument, IBFD.
  • 2021 From Financial to « Sustainable » Capital Maintenance, Journal for International and European Law, Economics and Market Integrations, VII(2)
  • 2021 The French Concept of Goodwill and European Accounting Harmonization (in Japanese), Kyoto University Economic Review, 194(4)
  • 2021 Distributed Ledger Technology and its applications to business accounting: the use of sidechains to transfer information (in Japanese, with T. Itabashi), Tokyo Keizaidaigaku Kaishi, 309.
  • 2021 Accretion-based taxation of trading securities and fair value measurement (in Japanese), Sangyokeiri, 80(4).
  • 2021 The Japanese experience with GAAR, in Butani, M. GAAR: the Final Frontier, Thomson-Reuters.
  • 2020 Controlled Foreign Company legislation in France, in Kofler, G. and al., Controlled Foreign Company Legislation, IBFD.
  • 2020 Accounting for Equity Capital and Corporate Sustainability, European Company Law, 17(5)
  • 2019 The use of financial information issued by SMEs in national accounts (in Japanese), Kaikei 195(2)
  • 2018 Goodwill accounting standards in the UK, the USA, France and Japan (with Y. Katsuo and van Mourik, K.) Accounting History 23(3)

Contact

E-mail : GARCIA, Clemence

Office : South 2-402