Professor
Motoshige Itoh

There are many interesting events and developments in international economy. Economics provides various effective tools to understand these events and developments. I have been watching various international economic issues and involoved in policy discussions. I believe my experience is useful for the class discussion.

Courses

Basic Seminar Ⅰ
Basic Seminar Ⅱ
Introduction to the Global Economy
Economic Policy
Japanese Economy
International Business
Advanced Seminar Ⅰ
Advanced Seminar Ⅱ
Graduation Thesis

Fields of Specialization

• International Economics
  • Japanese Economy
  • Economic Policy
  • Industrial Economics

Contact

• E-mail :
  • Office :South 2-414

Professor,  the Faculty of International Social Sciences, Gakushuin University
    Dean, Graduate School of Economics, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo (-2009)
    President, National Institute for Research Advancement (-2014)
    Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo (-2016)
    Professor, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo (-1996)
    Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo(-1993)
    Assosiate Professor, Department of Economics, Tokyo Metropolitan University (-1982)
    Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Houston (-1979)

Major Publications

• Small and Medium Enterprise Support Policy in Japan (with S. Urata) Monograph prepared for the World Bank, 1995.
  • Wool in Japan: From Spindle to Fashion, (with C. Findlay), Harper and Collins, 1994.
  • Economic Analysis of Industrial Policy, New York: Academic Press,1991 (with K. Kiyono, M. Okuno and K. Suzumura).
  • "Content Protection and Oligopolistic Interactions," Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 55, 1988: pp.107-25 (with K. Krishna).
  • "International Trade and Trade Policy of Japan: 1955-1984," Forthcoming (1988) in Inoguchi, T. and D.I. Okimoto ed., The Political Economy of Japan, Vol. 2: The Changing International Context, Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
  • "Welfare Enhancing Export Subsidies," Journal of Political Economy, Vol.95, No.1, February 1987 (with K. Kiyono).
  • Disequilibrium Trade Theories, Chur, Switzerland: Harwood Academic Publishers, 1987 (with T. Negishi).
  • "Tariffs vs. Quotas in a Model of Duopoly with Heterogeneous Goods," Journal of International Economics, 17 (1984) (with Y. Ono).
  • "Monopoly, Product Differentiation and Economic Welfare," Journal of Economic Theory, October 1983.
  • "Tariffs, Quotas and Market Structure,"  Quarterly Journal of Economics, May 1982 (with Y. Ono).