Social Science Seminar

ProfessorKASHIWAGI, Masanori

KASHIWAGI, Masanori

My fields of interest are macroeconomics and international macroeconomics and, at Gakushuin University, I teach courses in these fields. As an instructor and mentor, I offer students scope for understanding and analyzing issues of the global economy and society, making the most of my wide-ranging international experience. Prior to joining Gakushuin University, I was a Ph.D. student in the United States, a postdoctoral fellow in Italy, and a faculty member in Taiwan.

Courses

• Macroeconomics
  • International Finance
  • Theory of International Finance
  • International Macroeconomic Policy
  • Basic Seminar Ⅰ・Ⅱ
  • Advanced Seminar Ⅰ・Ⅱ
  • Graduation Thesis

I teach several courses in macroeconomics and international finance. In each course, I explain not only economic theory but also how theory helps to account for empirics referring to newspaper articles and data. Organized in this way, my courses aim to assist students to analyze the macroeconomy and financial markets using a theoretical framework.

Seminar

We discuss topics in finance and international finance. Third-year students learn the basics and related theory through assigned readings. Focusing on critical reading and active learning, each session consists of students’ presentations, tutorial questions and discussions. Building on what they have learned in their third year, fourth-year students conduct research and write an academic essay on the topic of their own choice.

2018 Professor, the Faculty of International Social Sciences, Gakushuin University
2016 Associate Professor, the Faculty of International Social Sciences, Gakushuin University
2015 Associate Professor, Department of Economics, National Taiwan University
2011 Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, National Taiwan University
2010 Max Weber Postdoctoral Fellow, European University Institute
2010 Ph.D. Economics, University of California, Los Angeles
2005 M.A. Economics, University of Tokyo
2003 B.A. International Relations, University of Tokyo

Fields of Specialization

MacroeconomicsInternational Macroeconomics

Research content

As mentioned above, my fields of interest are macroeconomics and international macroeconomics. I have been working on application of search theory to the macroeconomy and theoretical analysis of monetary policy in the open economy. In addition, I have an empirical work on the Japanese monetary policy.

Major Publications

• "The Welfare Consequences of a Quantitative Search and Matching Approach to the Labor Market," Bulletin of Economic Research, Vol. 70 (2018), pp. 423-442.
  • "A Vehicle Currency Country's Welfare under Optimal Monetary Policy," Japan and the World Economy, Vol. 42 (2017), pp. 23-31.
  • "The Japanese Taylor Rule Estimated Using Censored Quantile Regressions," with Jau-er Chen, Empirical Economics, Vol. 52 (2017), pp. 357-371.
  • "The Cyclical Properties of Unemployment and Vacancies in Taiwan," Pacific Economic Review, Vol. 20 (2015), pp. 588-607.
  • "A Search-Theoretic Model of the Rental and Homeownership Markets," Journal of Housing Economics, Vol. 26 (2014), pp. 33-47.
  • "Sunspots and Self-Fulfilling Beliefs in the U.S. Housing Market," Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 17 (2014), pp. 654-676.
  • "Implications of Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Nontradable Goods for International Policy Cooperation," Open Economies Review, Vol. 25 (2014), pp. 771-795.
  • "Vehicle Currency Pricing and Its Positive Welfare Consequences under Optimal Monetary Policy," Japan and the World Economy, Vol. 30 (2014), pp. 75-85.

Contact

E-mail : KASHIWAGI, Masanori

Office : South 2-403