Student Exchange Programme

Exchange Students

Gakushuin University annually accepts about 20-30 students from its international partner universities under the Exchange Programme. They take courses in Japanese language and culture as well as in their areas of specialization. They are also free to take any courses of their interest, including ones offered in faculties other than their own. Lectures are generally offered in Japanese, with some given in English. Like our regular students, exchange students can use such facilities on campus as PCs, the library and gym.

Application Procedures

If you are a student of one of our partner universities and wish to study at Gakushuin as an exchange student, you must contact the international office of your university. Deadlines for application are as follows:
For April admission: End of October of the previous year
For September admission: End of March of the year

The latest application guidelines and application forms can be downloaded from the links below.

Nomination/Application Guidelines and Forms
00 Nomination List for Sep.2022.xlsx
01 Application Guidelines 2022-2023 for September admission.pdf
01-01 Gakushuin Fact Sheet 2022-2023 for September admission.pdf
02 Application Form for September 2022.docx
03 Japanese Language Proficiency Form.pdf
04 Health Certificate.pdf
05 Certificate of the Applicants' student status at home university.pdf
06 English Language Proficiency & Registration Form.pdf
07 Application for Certificate of Eligibility for September 2022.xlsx
08 Attachment How to calculate JASSO GPA.pdf
09 Attachment Course list offered by the Faculty of International Social Sciences (as of January 2021).pdf

Offer Letter

After screening your application at several faculty meetings, we decide the department you will belong to and your academic adviser. Then we issue an "Offer Letter" and apply to the Immigration Bureau for a "Certificate of Eligibility" on behalf of you. It usually takes about 1-2 months for the Certificate to be issued.


Receiving the "Offer Letter" and the "Certificate of Eligibility", you need to apply for the "College Student Visa" at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your own country.