English

ProfessorO'NEILL, Ted

O'NEILL, Ted

Now is the time to be open to the unexpected. Your next few years as a university student in the Faculty of International Social Sciences is a good time to say "Yes" to new opportunities. Now is the time for creative students to become leaders. I hope as a student here you will make new discoveries about the world and find your place in it.

Courses

• Advanced Academic Writing
  • Academic Skills I, II (Reading and Writing)
  • Critical Reading
  • Issues in the World
  • Globalization and Business
  • Previously

Studies of the linguistic landscape investigate the languages displayed in a given public space or area. This may inform us about the surrounding society or community. Linguistic landscape studies are interdisciplinary; they are where linguistics, sociology, psychology, and geography intersect. In my linguistic landscape CLIL seminars students conduct field studies, collect and analyse data, and present conclusions about communities of their choice in Tokyo, around Japan, or abroad.

2016 Professor, the Faculty of International Social Sciences, Gakushuin University
2015 Professor, Gakushuin University Faculty of International Social Sciences Preparatory Office
2014 Postgraduate Certificate of Educational Technology and Information Literacy, State University of New York Buffalo Graduate School of Education
2011 Associate Professor, Tokyo Medical and Dental University
2005 Assistant Professor, Obirin University
1999 Instructor, Nanzan University
1996 Instructor, Chukyo University Department of English Language and Literature
1996 MA in ESL and Bilingual Education, University of Massachusetts at Boston
1990 Assistant Language Teacher, JET Program(me)
1990 BA in History, University of Massachusetts at Boston

Fields of Specialization

English Language TeachingLinguistic LandscapesEducational Technology

Research content

English Language Teaching, Educational Technology, Linguistic Landscapes

Major Publications

• Writing for your readers: Tools and approaches (2012) The Language Teacher. Vol. 36, No. 4. 32-34.
  • Uses and Representations of Foreign Language in Storytelling: Oze Akira's Kuroudo (2010) Journal of J. F. Oberlin University Studies in Language and Culture, The First Issue. 73-87.
  • Implementing a Knowledge Sharing Network Within the Obirin English Language Program (2007) Obirin Studies in English Language and Literature. Vol. 47, 107-118.
  • A Comparative Study of Two Methods on Building Reading Fluency in EFL: Repeated Reading vs Extensive Reading (2004) Language, Education & Technology. Vol. 41, 179-198.

Others

ORCID: 0000-0002-3083-3316 (リンク html https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3083-3316)
International Academic Forum (IAFOR), International Advisory Board (2014-2019)
International Academic Forum (IAFOR), Vice President (2017-2019)
Japan Association for Language Teaching (JALT), Member Board of Directors (2012-2016)
Apple Distinguished Educator (2011)

Contact

E-mail : O'NEILL, Ted

Office : South 2-413