Social Science Seminar

ProfessorINUI, Tomohiko

INUI, Tomohiko

My research expertise covers productivity analysis, economic development, and international economics. I have published extensively on topics such as productivity analysis of Japanese firms, the effects of privatization on Chinese state-owned enterprises, health economics including the effects of birth weight on long term outcomes, and various other papers in his line of expertise.

Courses

• Introduction to Data Analysis
  • Economic Growth Theory
  • The Economic Development of Japan
  • Globalization, Economic Growth and Income Distribution
  • Basic Seminar Ⅰ・Ⅱ
  • Advanced Seminar Ⅰ・Ⅱ
  • Graduation Seminar

“Data Analysis for Social Sciences” (first year) aims at organizing data and conducting regression analysis, and making out a report based on the results. In “Economic Growth Theory” (second year), students learn the impacts of population growth, human capital, productivity and technology, internationalization on economic growth based on the Solow growth model. “The Economic Development” (second year) analyzes characteristics of Japanese economy and society using a large variety of statistics, providing discussions on the challenges it faces and possible solutions.

Seminar

In the "Advanced Seminar I & II" (3rd year), students analyze the impact of internationalization and information technology on sustainable economic development, and write a report on the results of their analysis. In the "Graduation Thesis" (4th year), students analyze the economic issues underlying the various problems associated with firm internationalization and informatization, and write a graduation thesis.

2016 Professor, the Faculty of International Social Sciences, Gakushuin University
2014 Professor, Preparatory Office for the Faculty of International Social Sciences, Gakushuin University
2012 Professor, College Economics, Nihon University (-2014)
2009 Director, Statistics Commission Office at the Cabinet Office, Government of Japan (-2012)
2006 Doctorial program completed with expulsion, Hitotsubashi University
2003 Professor, College Economics, Nihon University (-2009)
2000 Associate Professor, College Economics, Nihon University (-2003)
1996 Officer, Development Bank of Japan (-2000)
1993 Economist, International Energy Agency (-1996)
1990 M.A. (Economics), Johns Hopkins University
1985 Officer, Development Bank of Japan (-1993)
1985 B.A. (Economics), Hitotsubashi University

Fields of Specialization

Productivity AnalysisEconomic DevelopmentInternational Trade and Investment

Research content

I analyze the measurement and determinants of productivity in firms and industries. In particular, I analyze the impact of economic globalization and the development of information technology on firm productivity, markups, and labor markets. In addition to this research, I have recently been working on analyzing the relationship between economic development and servitization. I have begun to analyze the measurement and determinants of the servitization of manufacturing, the productivity of service industries, and the quality of education and health care.

Major Publications

• Tomohiko Inui, Kenta Ikeuchi, Ayako Obashi, and Qizhong Yang, (2021) “The impact of regulatory distance from global standards on a country’s centrality in global value chains” International Economics, Vol.166, pp. 95-115.
  • Taiji Fujisawa, Tomohiko Inui, Keiko Ito, and Heiwai TANG (2018) “Global Sourcing and Domestic Production Networks,” RIETI Discussion Paper Series, 18-E-004.
  • Tomohiko Inui, Keiko Ito and Daisuke Miyakawa, (2017) “Export Experience, Product Differentiation, and Firm Survival in Export Markets,” Japanese Economic Review, 68(2), pp. 217?231.
  • Tomohiko Inui, Keiko Ito and Daisuke Miyakawa, (2015) “Overseas Market Information and Firms’ Export Decisions,” Economic Inquiry, 53(3), pp. 1671-1688.
  • Naomi Kodama and Tomohiko Inui, (2015) “The Impact of Globalization on Establishment-Level Employment Dynamics in Japan,” Asian Economic Papers, 14(2), pp.41-65.
  • Kazuma Edamura Sho Haneda, Tomohiko Inui, Xiaofei Tan Yasuyuki Todo, (2014). “Impact of Chinese cross-border outbound M&As on firm performance: Econometric analysis using firm-level data,” China Economic Review, Vol. 30, pp.169-179.
  • Richard Kneller, Danny McGowan, Tomohiko Inui and Toshiyuki Matsuura, (2012) “Closure within Multi-Plant Firms: Evidence from Japan,” Review of World Economics, Vol. 148, Issue 4, pp. 647-668.

Others

・Visiting Research Fellow, Policy Reserach Insitute, Ministry of Finance, Japan
・Faculty Fellow, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry

Contact

E-mail : INUI, Tomohiko

Office : South 2-401