Social Science Seminar

Associate ProfessorTAMAKI, Emi

TAMAKI, Emi

I am a social demographer whose research interests include immigration, family, and health. One of my current projects examines the relationship between family and health. I am also interested in exploring the determinants and consequences of immigrants' social, cultural, and economic ties with their countries of origin.

Courses

• Sociology
  • Quantitative Sociology
  • Sociology of Population
  • International Migration
  • Basic Seminar Ⅰ・Ⅱ
  • Advanced Seminar Ⅰ・Ⅱ
  • Graduation Seminar

"Sociology" (1st year) is an introduction to sociological studies. "Quantitative Sociology" (2nd year) provides students with quantitative techniques used in Sociology. "Sociology of Population" (2nd year) examines population dynamics through birth, death, and human migration. "International Migration" (3rd year) discusses the social, economic, and political aspects of international migration.

Seminar

In my research seminars, students will learn how to formulate research questions, collect and analyze data, and interpret the results. Students will choose their own topic and work as a group.

2016 Associate Professor, Faculty of International Social Sciences, Gakushuin University, Tokyo, Japan
2013 Assistant Professor, College of Social Sciences, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan.
2013 Ph.D., Sociology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 
2012 G30 Seminar Lecturer, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
2010 Visiting Scholar (NIH Project Research Assistant), Population Program, East-West Center, HI.
2009 Visiting Scholar, Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
2008 Shanahan Fellow, Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology, University of Washington, WA.
2006 Research Assistant, Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology, University of Washington, WA
2005 Teaching Assistant, Department of Sociology, University of Washington, WA

Fields of Specialization

SociologySocial DemographyInternational MigrationFamily and Health

Research content

One of my current projects examines the impact of work-family balance on individual health through international comparisons. I am also investigating how immigrants' cultural, social, and economic ties to their home countries affect their health status. My other research interests include bio-social aspects of human fertility.

Major Publications

• Emi Tamaki. Forthcoming. Marriage and Health in Japan: A Gender Perspective. Springer Briefs in Population Studies, Population Studies of Japan, Springer Nature.
  • Martin Piotrowski, Ronald R. Rindfuss, Emi Tamaki, Minja Kim Choe, Noriko O. Tsuya, and Larry Bumpass. 2022. "Social Networks and Family Change in Japan Revisited." Population: English Edition, 77(4): 609-634.
  • Emi Tamaki. 2019. "The Social Determinants of Menstrual Cycle Characteristics among Japanese Women." Health Care, 61(9):609-612. (In Japanese)
  • Emi Tamaki. 2018.“Natural Fertility” pp.144-145. in Population Association of Japan ed. Encyclopedia of Population Science. Maruzen. (In Japanese)
  • Shoko Konishi, Emi Tamaki, and Jun Yoshinaga. 2018. Biodemography of Fertility in Japan. Springer Briefs in Population Studies, Population Studies of Japan, Springer Nature.
  • Shoko Konishi and Emi Tamaki. 2016. "Pregnancy Intention and Contraceptive Use among Married and Unmarried Women in Japan." Japanese Journal of Health and Human Ecology, 82(3):110‒124.
  • Emi Tamaki. 2016. "Globalization and Adaptation of Japanese-Brazilians." pp.228-245. in Junya Tsutsui, Kwang-Yeong Shin, and Haruka Shibata eds. Problems of East-Asian Societies in the Post-Industrialized Era. Minerva Press. (In Japanese)
  • Emi Tamaki. 2015. "Social Inclusion of Immigrants and Their Connection to the Original Country." pp.167-182. in Junri Sakurai, Tomoaki Eguchi, and Makoto Yoshida eds. Changes in Labor Society and Inequality and Exclusion. Minerva Press. (In Japanese)
  • Ronald R. Rindfuss, Minja K. Choe, Noriko O. Tsuya, Larry L. Bumpass, and Emi Tamaki. 2015. “Do Low Survey Response Rates Bias Results? Evidence from Japan.” Demographic Research, 32 (26): 797-828.
  • Seunghye Hong, Emily Walton, Emi Tamaki, and Janice A. Sabin. 2014. “Lifetime Prevalence of Mental Disorders among Asian Americans: Nativity, Gender, and Sociodemographic Correlates.” Asian American Journal of Psychology, 5 (4): 353-363.
  • Emi Tamaki. 2011. “Continued Home Engagement among Latino and Asian Americans: Resources and Motivation.” International Migration Review, 45 (1): 148–173.
  • Emi Tamaki. 2010. “Employment, Income, and Health.” in Economic Transitions and Health of Japanese Brazilians in Hamamatsu City, pp.17-27. A report submitted to Hamamatsu city, Japan. (In Japanese)
  • Sara R. Curran and Emi Tamaki. 2008. “Population and Demography Issues in Southeast Asia.” Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern World, pp.200-201. Oxford University Press.

Others

Principal Investigator, Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) “The Effect of Marriage and Work on Women’s Health: Focus on International Migration.” Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, April 2015- March 2020
Co-Investigator, Scientific Research (A) “Trends in Marriage, Divorce, and Re-Marriage in Japan.” Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, April 2013- March 2018

Contact

E-mail : TAMAKI, Emi

Office : South 2-305